Monday, June 7, 2010
A Whole Lotta Thoughts...
Greetings one and all, and welcome to your weekly beatdown....administered as always by your favorite bar-stool philosopher, your most spectacular giver of awesome ramblings that ever-so-carefully teeter the tightest of lines between genius and insanity...
And what a segue...
Albert Einstein had one of the greatest quotes of ALL time...he said:
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Ain't that the truth?!?!?!? And isn't it something we ALL are guilty of? We hold our patterns, we stay in our comfort zone, and when things go poorly, we complain, don't make the necessary change(s), and expect things to improve.
And isn't it SUPER easy to come up with 1,000,000 excuses why we WON'T make a change rather than making ONE adjustment to facilitate the necessary change?
Seriously...YOU - YES, YOU - have been there, done that. I'm as guilty as you. Keep doing things the same way and expecting things to be different THIS time around.
Almost 2 weeks into my new career, I'm realizing how f'd I've been in the head for a long time professionally! For 10 years I've stayed in a role expecting things to get better and change. Sure, the building changed, the company changed, the co-workers changed, but it was the SAME thing! How could I move forward when all I was doing was spinning in a circle? I couldn't...I was doing the same thing, expecting it to be better this time around...and I was ALWAYS wrong. Being in a new industry has made me realize this!
Work. Relationships. Friends. Habits. Voting. Getting away from the norm that you create in your own mind is friggin' HARD. If it was easy, it'd simply be "the way". But doing the same thing over and over and over again when the results are always shitty, and yet continually hoping/praying/believing things will be different is, as Mr. Einstein says, INSANE!
To rip from the Absolut Vodka commercial..."Doing things differently leads to something exceptional".
Stop making the same MISTAKE over and over thinking things will change...because as Biggie Smalls once said (R.I.P., B.I.G.), "We can't change the world unless we change ourselves".
Get out of the bad relationship once and for all. Look for a new job. Stop hanging around those assholes. And for God's Sake...VOTE FOR REAL CHANGE...B/C NONE OF THE CHANGE THAT WAS PROMISED HAS BEEN DELIVERED!
Yeah, a touch of a rant...but reading various Status Updates, watching the news, and listening to two older gentlemen bickering at the barber shop on Saturday got me a little fired up.
Some random thoughts to end this one...
1. HonFest in Baltimore this weekend (6/12 & 6/13) should be a hoot...and wouldn't you know that my brother's band is gonna rock that joint 80's style on Saturday!
2. The 100 calorie packs of Wholly Guacamole are ridiculously good...especially when you throw in a little Habanaro Sauce to kick things up a notch!
3. "Three Sheets with Zane Lamprey" on FLN...how do I get a gig like that?!?!?!?
4. Don't you hate it when your neighbor's car alarm goes off late at night and it takes them 10 or 15 minutes to turn it off? Seriously, everyone can hear it...what exactly are you doing so that it takes you that long to push a freakin' button on your key?!?!?!?
5. When calculating averages, it looks as if the O's will finish the season with 45 wins and 117 losses...Mr. Angelos...DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS IS INSANE...sell the team to someone that WANTS to put a winner on the field, please.
6. Only 98 more days 'til the RAVENS kick off their 2010 season (on Monday Night Football!!!) against the J-E-T-S. That one is gonna be a good ol' fashioned slobberknocker!
7. M.R. Ducks in Ocean City Maryland is calling my name...loudly. Can't wait to get back down there for a weekend in the next few weeks...
8. Rock, Paper, Scissors...what brainiac decided paper beats rock? I got an idea for that genius...let them stand with a piece of paper in front of their face and I'll chuck a rock at it...ROCK WINS.
9. Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi.
10. Women of Facebook...enough with the DuckFace/KissyFace/Pucker pictures...you do NOT look sexy at all, you look like a dumb dumb, and EVERYONE laughs at your photos behind your back.
That's all I got at the moment.
Until you read me again...practice random acts of kindness...get in touch with an old friend...and do something different and stick with it...you may be pleased with the results!
Catch you next time...