Here I am stuck in a week of never-ending Monday’s...which always leads to me blogging just a little bit more!
I recently read an article on what it takes to be a success...and while I agreed with some of the points, I tend to view things a little outside of the box and therefore had some differing opinions than the article's contributors.
Let’s start out simple.
What exactly does “success” mean, anyhow?
According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, “success”:
noun, (1) a favorable or desired outcome, (2) the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence, and/or (3) one that succeeds.
Pretty cut and dry. I actually have nothing witty to add.
So how does one become successful? How does one become a success?
There are the obvious answers here.
Be an innovator.
Don’t quit when the proverbial chips are down.
Surround yourself with the right team.
Again, it isn’t really rocket science.
Is it really that easy?
Here are a few tips on being successful from me...take it for what it’s worth.
1. Don’t be afraid to rock the boat. Seriously, speak up! Silence, in my opinion, dictates that you are fine with how things are, and agree with whatever is being discussed 100%. You’re totally onboard sitting there in your silence. Take on the controversial stances with reckless abandon, as long as you TRULY believe what you are saying...in other words, don’t be a tool just to be a tool. Sure, people may scoff at your ideas. They may roll their eyes. They may even laugh. But I’d be willing to bet that they’d respect YOU for not backing down. Sure, you won’t always be the popular voice; but, you will always be heard...and that is 100 times better than being a bump on the log conforming to whatever the popular opinion is.
2. This is sort of an extension of #1…don’t follow trends just to fit in. Don’t dress, walk, talk, laugh with, sit with, and socialize with the “in” crowd just to be part of the aforementioned “in” crowd. You were born an original. Stay one...don’t become a copy. Be yourself. Follow the beat of your own drum. That’s the only way to self discovery, the only way to figure out who YOU are...and you have to know who YOU are to be successful with any aspect of your life!
3. Don’t be afraid to fail miserably! No great reward comes without great risk, or however that quote goes. Make sure your heart is in whatever it is you are trying to be successful at...work, love, friendship, etc. Have the balls to throw caution to the wind and follow your dreams. Always ask yourself if your heart is in what it is that you are doing, and if it isn’t what would you rather be doing instead...and only YOU can determine what that is.
4. Dive right into the deep in. Get in over your head. Put yourself at risk. You’ll never know how strong you are until you try something that you think is beyond you. Most of the time, high-risk situations won’t kill you. They will make you stronger...and speaking from the heart and from experience, we are all much stronger than we give ourselves credit for. And it’s always the right time to remind yourself of that.
5. Give yourself an attitude. Believe in that attitude. The more you put that attitude out for all to see, the more people will buy into it. And make sure the attitude is a positive one. Hell, let it be over-the-top…let it be AWESOME. Again, people may laugh at it, but people won’t forget it. And as history proves, if something is shoved in the masses face, preferably in a positive way, chances are they will start to believe it. And if they believe it, they will follow it.
That’s all I got right now...back for more fun and frivolity sooner than later.
Until them, remember one thing...STONE IS AWESOME.
Catch you on the flipside, Beatdowners...hopefully see some of you at the Fell's Point Fun Festival this weekend!