Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Quick One...or A Gen X Anthem



Nirvana. "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I randomly heard this song today and thought back to the first time I heard it back in 1991-1992.

The song blew my mind.

Dare I say it changed me...I officially got pissed. I officially realized my Generation X roots. I was 20.

And today, as it blared through the speakers of my Jetta, I quickly realized that a fair amount of Gen X has grown up, and probably forgotten about the attitude of our youth.

The way we gave the proverbial finger to the status quo.

The way we questioned and resisted listening to the mass media, to the politicians, to the mainstream.

And I think it's OUR time to do it again.

Give a good ol' whirly bird salute.

Don't fall victim to the Pied Piper that is the mass media.

Tell the politicians in our states and especially in DC that WE call the shots. WE dictate policy...not big banks, not lobbying firms, not political action committees...and that we won't allow BIG government to run our lives.

Eliminate the attitude of ENTITLEMENT.

Embrace the attitude of EMPOWERMENT.

Generation X, we move through our 30's and into our 40's...this country's future is on our hands now.

WE the People can.

WE the People will.

No comments:

Post a Comment