Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Christmas Blog

Okay, so here's another blog entry, Beatdowners - composed completely from my iPhone (later edited from my 'puter)...I did say I may have a few quick one's about Christmas, so I'm entitled.

I'm not feeling the Christmas Spirit this year. Plain and simple.

Why?

The weather being more like Spring than late-Fall/early-Winter?

The horrible commercials showing parents one-up'ing Santa, destroying Littleheads dreams, wonderment, and believing?

The continuation and further commercialization of Christmas?

Not having a job?

Visiting with friends and family being far too infrequent?

The dread of having to drag the Littleheads out and about on Christmas day, rather than having it at my house, where I want it to be?

The lack of any Christmas tradition in my life (with the exception if hanging with my brother for a few pints on Christmas Eve, which looks as if it'll be derailed this year)?

One certainty - not attending Mass has 110% contributed.

Actually, it's safe to say that it's in part due to all of the above.

But there is one week left.  One week before Christmas.

I'm going to make the most of it to salvage some part of the Holiday Season - for me, for my family, and for any one else who wants to come along for the ride.

While Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus, it's also about joy, cheer, friends and family gathering, miracles, and Festivus!

Now to just find it...or better yet, now to just let it happen...

And if all else fails, I can fall back on the advice given by Buddy the Elf in the now-Christmas classic film Elf:

"The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear".

No comments:

Post a Comment